Sunday 8 May 2016

Avian Pox and Bird Feeder Hygiene

Not all bad news below but I thought I'd mention hygiene when feeding birds as I've now found three birds from different sites with what appears to be Avian Pox, a disease thought to be spread though a number mediums including bird feeders. Apparently some birds do recover but I'm not hopeful for the Coal Tit below which is an infrequent visitor to my garden where the feeders are cleaned regularly.

Also in the photos a couple of Whimbrels from my BTO Webs count at Easthaven and a yet unidentified Newt from Montreathmont Forest.


Coal Tit, a small growth is just seen above its beak and over its left eye


Not a pretty sight, the whole eye is affected and swollen but despite this the bird is behaving normally and had just finished bathing and preening


Whimbrel near Easthaven, also heard and seen calling


Whimbrel


Grey Heron having just caught a small flounder whose body has been pierced by the Heron's beak


VTOL (vertical take off and landing) Pied Wagtail. I'd watched this Wagtail walk about on the strand line and appear to jump vertically into the air on a number of occasions and accidentally caught this. It had leapt up to catch a fly it disturbed from the seaweed.


Female Yellowhammer in Montreathmont


Newt, Common or Palmate, I don't know yet





No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog

Blog archive