Friday 2 March 2018

Beast from the East, or Pussy from Kingussie?

Well it did snow, it did lie, and it made things difficult for a time in Arbroath, but it didn't match up to the name "beast" at least on the coast. Maybe we were just lucky, I had my weeks shopping in and only ran out of beer today so I had to move away from my centrally heated hide, my house!

The best bird I saw from my dining room was most unexpected, a fly over by a Woodcock but too fleeting a view as it headed out towards West Woods of Ethie. Not unexpected were some Yellowhammers which never turn up unless it's been snowing, and a first ever sighting in the back garden of a single Fieldfare which stayed about 20 seconds!

Photos and videos all taken through double glazing which needs a clean!

Tree Sparrows in a blizzard, click here for video             

Greenfinches squabbling, click here for video

Starlings, they'd broken through the ice on my pond, click here for video


Yellowhammer, four still being seen for a third day on Friday


One of 9 Greenfinches I've had all winter, at least 6 different males have been counted at once


Fieldfare, as far from my window as possible and very wary. I don't think it liked the 20+ Starlings which it seemed to follow in


Most of the Chaffinches and many of the other birds around appear to have very white bellies and rumps. I'm guessing they're being kept clean by the snow and the light is also being reflected upwards from the ground into the apple tree feeders


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog

Blog archive