Wednesday 28 March 2018

Migration and breeding - we're off!

A right old mixture of species and places they were seen. The return of an old friend, the bringer of doom for some in my garden and overall the breeding season and migration have started.


The newly returned local Osprey waiting to be fed no doubt


The reason I don't have to fill up my feeders. This Sparrowhawk has even taken to roosting in a bush in the garden. Unsuccessful hunt today when this was taken


This Blackbird appears to have or be considering a nest very near to the bush the Sparrowhawk uses, it won't go well...


Curlews fly over my house each day, some continue to St Vigeans and Condor but this one and a few others were in the field on the edge of Arbroath, probably no more than 50 metres from where I live


A bit dull at the Lurgies today when these Red-breasted Mergansers flew upstream as the tide receded


I counted these Redshanks on my PC and there are 418 and 1 Dunnock which are the largest flock I've seen recently at Montrose Basin, and many didn't fit the frame to the right


These two drake Mallards chased the duck and each other around the Lurgies before one became dominant and left with the duck


This Lesser Black-backed Gull and another seem to be the only two at Monikie. I'd gone looking for Little Gulls and perhaps Sand Martins but I'll have to go back again as neither has arrived yet


We were too early when starting a journey today so a quick drive past Victoria Park to use up some time confirmed the Iceland Gull and the Pale-bellied Brent Goose were both still around

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog

Blog archive