Wednesday 11 April 2018

Goosanders and Martins

Another day of winter but the forecast is promising spring starting at the weekend and through next week. I'd gone to Craigmill beach looking for a White Wagtail but the wind was blowing strong and cold along the beach with only a few waders and a passing Peregrine. To get a heat I took a walk up Craigmill Den and found a pair of Goosanders at the weir and four Sand Martins and two House Martins on the way. I also had a first sighting in the den of a Fulmar which must had got lost as it downstream from inland.

Now's still your best chance for views of Little Gulls at Monikie with numbers up and perhaps over forty birds of mixed ages feeding a bit closer in at times.


A pair of Goosanders under the weir at Craigmill Den, near Carnoustie


The male Goosander


Female


My first House Martin this year, I'm sure to try and get a proper photo soon


Best I could do on another dark day


Shelducks on the beach at Craigmill, over-exposed settings I'd been using to get Turnstones on the edge of the rocks


More Little Gulls at Monikie today, perhaps 40 or more and wee bit closer and as I was on my own I could stand a shiver in the wind without being moved on...











I saw this Linnet while briefly at Victoria Park in Arbroath where the Iceland Gull remains, today it was sitting near the low tide line sleeping





No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog

Blog archive