Wednesday 21 June 2017

Scurdie Ness in the sun

I took a walk down to the Scurdie Ness Lighthouse on Tuesday without anything special in mind but always hoping the Dolphins, Gannets or Common Terns would be fishing. I only saw a few terns flying out to sea but I was able to amuse or frustrate myself by trying for photos of the small birds in the undergrowth. The photos are displayed in the order taken.



At least three of these Sedge Warbler fledglings were trying to conceal themselves in the long grass and generally did a good job but gave the game away by calling to be fed


This adult Sedge was further along but could have been one of the parents of the newly fledged youngsters.


Even the Swallows were having a rest in the sun and this one had dropped in for a quick drink near the lighthouse


The House Martins kept coming to this small wet area where they were picking up mud and some of the green weed


One of the many Meadow Pipits collecting food for clutches all along the track


Eider duck, one of many without ducklings


Linnet female, lots of these along the track and they do approach if you stay still and no-one walks by, they don't like the noisy speed boats though


Male Linnet in the harsh sunlight


Song Thrush sunbathing near its nest, perhaps a second brood?



Now at the Lurgies, even the Black-headed Gulls are feeling the heat and yawning


First Meadow Brown Butterfly this year for me and a better photo than I usually manage holding that heavy lens on my DSLR


Red-breasted Mergansers heading into the basin, I counted 13 of them briefly at Miss Erskine's Bank


The first time I recall seeing this Whooper Swan this season, it's a long staying bird which has hung around the basin and usually rests on Miss Erskine's Bank where this photo shows it. I'm sure I've seen it flying in previous summers but perhaps it doesn't fly well enough to migrate with its kind



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog

Blog archive