Wednesday 20 November 2019

63+ Purple Sandpipers - Torry Battery

I had a choice on Sunday, stay in Laurencekirk and try and entertain a nine year old with an ear infection, or go to Loch of Skene and Aberdeen. Well, what else could I do!

I did find a Bean Goose at Skene but it's a big loch and inevitably it was too far out for a photo. It was near a few Pink-footed and I could clearly see its orange bill and longer looking neck, then it appeared to roost on the small island, out of view.

Kingfisher video, just as the rain started, click here



63 Purple Sandpipers and that isn't all of them in the photo more were on the inner breakwater at Torry Battery, Aberdeen, on Sunday 17th. It was quite late in the afternoon and the underwing of the birds were lit up by the low sunlight


Now in the shade of the breakwater


Shag, right in amongst the rocks and swell at the outer breakwater


The sun shining like a large spotlight on this Cormorant drying its wings in the late sun. If asked most would say a Cormorant was black but it's much more complicated than that!


The Johnston Gardens Mandarin, (sometimes Walker Dam) it was tucked up in the shadiest part of the pond but the clever Nikon still managed a photo hand held at 10,000 ISO!


A female Kingfisher found on my Webs count on Saturday, it was happy to sit about 20 metres away from me while I tried to get a photo with my Canon SX60




No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog

Blog archive