Thursday 2 June 2022

Puffins, Little Ringed Plovers and a Tiger Crane Fly!

   
A long post with many photos of various bird species, plants, insects, basically anything I saw that took my interest. Strange interests you'll probably conclude, and with a story about the ultimate photo, which I took so I could ask if it was unusual having never seen it before. I should say I don't know anything about dogs other than they must be deaf as their owners are always shouting at them!

The photos are from a few days and from Murton, the local cliffs, Auchmithie and West Woods of Ethie, with the usual photos taken in my garden as Olive feeds me grapes and supplies mugs of coffee! (Aye that'll be right)

Videos below of Little Ringed Plovers with two fledged chicks and the struggle to keep them safe from Crows, Jackdaws and perhaps the Magpie heard calling in one of the videos. 
Click the links to play videos hosted on Flickr and in UHD. Filmed at 90 - 125 zoom, handheld.


Little Ringed Plovers - danger      LRP safe again       LRP chicks     LRP adult 



Tiger Crane Fly, Nephrotoma crocata I think. The two photos were taken on June 1st at Murton NR. It took a lot of research to find the correct ID.








Little Ringed Plover, both male and female are currently guarding two chicks, one adult hiding the chicks under its wings while the other and sometimes both chase Crows, Jackdaws and Lapwings









Puffin along the Angus coast











Fulmar




This Skylark was flying over the meadow at Murton NR, always into the sun





Yellowhammer near a feeder at the top of the steps from the old hotel building leading to the harbour track




Whitethroat in West Woods of Ethie. I'd heard a Green Woodpecker calling while doing a Corn Bunting survey but couldn't find the bird when I went to the wood later. John Adam had found one the day before calling in Magungie Wood which is just over 2km away




Rock Pipit living life on the edge at Auchmithie




Dunnock feeding along the track at Murton




Unbelievably I still have Yellowhammers coming into my garden, one cold day last week I had seven at the same time!





Still getting Tree Sparrows too and I think they'll bring in the chicks soon





Highest count so far for garden Starlings is 46, there may have been more. I've no idea what my neighbours think about the noise the Starling make, they're good for lawns when they hoover up the leatherjackets which damage the grass roots





While Jackdaws aren't welcome in the garden I'm not doing anything to stop them coming, I'm hoping what they eat in seed or fat balls will stop them "killing somebody's bairns" for their chicks








I haven't found any nests on roofs nearby, but Herring Gulls can be seen just about any time of day




Small White Butterfly on one of Olive's plants which are just beginning to flower, I look forward to more bees and hoverflies soon




I recall this Peacock was one of just a few butterflies flying at West Woods of Ethie in windy conditions





This Green veined White was the only other butterfly that sat still for a photo





Common Blue Damselfly male at Murton



I think this is a Diced Dance Fly Empis tessellata, if not it's a near match, seen at Murton





Not sure on this, but there are lots at Murton and I'm half sure they say on the signs these are Clustered Bellflowers, Google Lens thinks it's an Orchid species!





Cowslip, Murton





Fox and Cubs, found in various parts of Murton, Latin name Pilosella aurantiaca, known by many local names





Foxglove



Blue Bottle, Calliphora vomitoria and Greenbottle, Lucilla sericata




Blowfly Calliphora viciina


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog

Blog archive