Friday 23 June 2023

King Eider and Little Terns - Ythan Estuary

   
I originally went to the Ythan to see Little and Arctic Terns, but also hoped to get a photo of the King Eider I'd filmed off Earlsferry in Fife some weeks ago. The terns were found quickly and eventually the King Eider stopped preening and was briefly active in the river.

Although known as "Newburgh Seal Beach" the north bank regularly held up to 1500 seals thanks to the area being out of bounds to people, there were no seals within range unless with binoculars. Around 300+ were on the low water mark to the north of the river, and none in the river. Perhaps the seals got flushed by inconsiderate humans too often and its forced them to move, maybe it's because the sand has been washed away from where they hauled out.

It's worth noting that a charity has taken over the very much improved car park near the golf course and is charging £3.00, I can't remember for how long. You can only pay with a card which I didn't have with me! Mind you I only noticed I was being asked to pay when I found a note on my windscreen!

Two videos showing the King Eider, one with more zoom across the rivers width.

King Eider preening film 1      King Eider film 2



Little Tern




Little Tern





King Eider 2nd year drake




Already moulting into eclipse plumage




A bit tighter view from my P1000





Arctic Tern




Arctic Tern





Common Tern




With a Sandeel




Common Tern





Sandwich Tern with a Sandeel





With a small sprat like species











Black-headed Gull looking a bit pale and drab until you see the photo below









Eider creche, I'll leave readers to count them





This "Eider" is a bit of a puzzle, it's very pale and I've checked a photo from 2014 which appears to be the same bird. It may just have a pigment challenge, but I wonder could it be the hybrid daughter of Elvis the original drake King Eider









Barrel Jellyfish which appears to be out of place, the web speaks of it being seen off the south coast of England and Ireland


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog

Blog archive