Wednesday 30 August 2023

Gannets - and nothing but Gannets

   
Gannets and nothing but Gannets. They've had a bad time over the past few years and have lost many birds, both adults and chicks from colonies around the UK. Some seem to have an immunity to the avian flu which killed thousands of them, and they'll be the base for a recovery.

After walking along to the mouth of the North Esk at Kinnaber, all the time time looking for butterflies and a Red-backed Shrike, some butterflies were seen and photographed but the shrike had moved on. As clouds gathered I made my way back to the car park along the beach and dunes, about halfway along I spotted Guillemots in a feeding flock and Gannets racing to fish alongside them. At first the bait fish were moving too quickly south and away from me, but I did catch up and got photos as they plunged into the sea. I just couldn't get a photo of a bird at the point of entering the sea before they moved off to the north.

No particular order below, just as Google arranged them. I couldn't decide which to leave out, so they're all here to see. Why don't you find out which age group they are, I've learned a bit over time by doing that.





























































No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog

Blog archive