Monday 18 June 2018

Redstart chick and missing Kites

I'd never seen a Redstart chick till today but quickly lost it in cover in Glenesk. Later I got a glimpse of it again as we returned the same way and a good view of its mother. Other birds were, Dipper with chicks, Mallard with ducklings, Common Sandpipers doing distraction displays, Grey and Pied Wagtails.
Again I only saw one Red Kite, most probably the one I'd seen before. Where have they all gone, only one in Glenesk and one in Glen Lethnot over around eight visits in spring and early summer. Have a look at the final photo in this post, very much a "not welcome" message.



Redstart chick in lower Glenesk


Dipper chick


The adult Dipper looks worn out. I'm sure I was told that many adults die after a strenuous breeding season


Chimney Sweeper Moth


We went for a coffee at the beach in Montrose and this Common Tern was fishing in the pool against the rock armour. I didn't have the camera and by the time I did it had caught a fish and decided to leave











I believe there are six Greenfinches coming to my feeders and have been able to confirm that Goldfinches are nesting in an apple tree in my front garden, less than ten feet from my window



Starling, one of around forty in my garden in company with the same or more House Sparrows, also Chaffinches, Blue Tits, Dunnock with chicks, Goldfinches and still just the one Tree Sparrow


Scarecrow at Cornescorn, the ninth scarecrow I've seen on the hills to the west of Edzell



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog

Blog archive