Friday 10 September 2021

Comma Butterfly and Arctic Skua

  
I believe this is the 1998th post on this blog, although I know that some photos are missing in the very early posts, and maybe some posts were lost, I don't know for sure.

Below are two posts combined, the first is mainly from a trip to Crombie Country Park where I'd been tipped off about Comma Butterflies being seen. I found one that flew into the trees every time a small cloud covered the sun, but I got a few photos at a distance with a long lens!

The lower post is about two visits to Kinnaber links where I eventually found, but couldn't get even a bad photo of the Black Scoter on my second day. I did get a photo and some video of a juvenile Arctic Skua and some Red-throated Divers. It also includes some insects primarily Four Spot Orb Weavers which climbed all over me and my gear! 







 Comma Butterfly


Comma Butterfly at Crombie CP


Comma showing underwing pattern, including the white comma


Alternative underwing photo


Peacock Butterfly


Peacock underwing lit by a shaft of sunlight through the trees



Red Admiral Butterfly



Small Tortoiseshell Butterfly



Small White Butterfly


Common Hawker Dragonfly female, found dead in a pool where four males were hunting and squabbling


Rubbish photo of a pair of Black Dragonflies they just wouldn't land for a photo



This Common Darter Dragonfly like others prefer to sit in the sun



Emerald Damselfly male


Bog Hoverfly - Sericomyia silentis



Bog Hoverfly - Sericomyia silentis



Common Banded Hoverfly Syrphus ribesii 



Pellucid Fly or Hoverfly Volucella pellucens


Harvestman


Russula emetica, The Sickener, is found mainly beneath conifers (pines and spruces in particular) and occasionally also on mossy (fairly wet) heathland. NOT EDIBLE

The next stage of the Russula emitica above

Google Lens is suggesting Russula foetens, also known as Stinking Brittlegill mushroom but I have doubts....


Swallow



These photos below are mostly from one day at Kinnaber Links taken whilst scanning a very lengthy Common Scoter flock for Surf Scoters and a Black Scoter, on my second attempt I found the Black Scoter. I'm in the huff about the Surf Scoters


Arctic Skua sitting on the sea at Kinnaber Links




Forest Shield Bug








Four Spot Ord Weaver Spider, on my scope



Another climbing up my tripod leg




Adult Red-throated Diver, we're still at Kinnaber Links



Red-throated Diver, likely an adult further into its moult 



Adult again




A very new and intact looking Common Carder Bee in the garden




Small White Butterfly included for the apparent egg that it may have laid on the leaf




Garden Carpet Moth indoors


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog

Blog archive