Friday 24 June 2022

Corn Bunting singing and big eared beasties

   
My Corn Bunting survey for June didn't quite get the weather the Met had forecast, but as the early morning progressed and the conditions improved a decent number of Corn Buntings and other farmland birds were found. The cereal crops the birds nest in have just about all grown enough to provide cover for nesting, and I've figured out the differences between winter and spring planted crops.
Most of the photos were taken on my Nikon P1000 which is light enough to carry when walking 9 miles and climbing over drystane dykes. I use the camera to help identify distant birds, or those I see when looking into the low early morning sun, by over-exposing them.
I've tagged on some DSLR photos taken on Thursday near Auchmithie when the wind was unexpectedly strong, and a few more new insects for the year. 

Corn Bunting male singing      Skylark singing      Brown Hare      Skylark disturbed by dog 


Corn Bunting male which was singing from roadside wires





Skylark, also singing but from a drystane dyke




Different Skylark singing aloft




A photo taken to confirm that a silhouette I could see was in fact a Stonechat, I couldn't see if it was an adult or a juvenile. It turned out to be a juvenile and a second one was nearby





Calling from inside a tree before giving just enough of a view for a photo, it's a juvenile Whitethroat which I hoped would be a Lesser Whitethroat until it called and gave it away





Brown Hare, seen with another one in early morning, it could hear me moving behind a dyke but continued feeding, a gentle animal which has become much rarer throughout my lifetime





I think this is a Roe Deer I saw before in the same field. The first time it was casually running up the tractor tramline and when it filled my binoculars view I thought it might run into to me! In reality it stopped about 15 metres from me, took one look and left pronto. Today it watched me from behind a dyke as I walked past in the adjacent field





Six Spot Burnet Moth, the first one I've seen this year, love the colours and contrast between them





Simply a Honey Bee, seen when walking with my "honey". I think I'll get away with that as she doesn't read this blog, or does she?





There are three confusion species like this hoverfly which I think is a Sun Fly, also known as The Footballer, Helophilus pendulus. The weather on Thursday, sunshine and warmth, brought it to my garden pond 





Still getting Tree Wasps quenching their thirst on the surface of my pond and lots of small frogs appearing in the garden



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog

Blog archive