Thursday 23 June 2022

House Martin drama (again)

   
Some photos from West Links, Arbroath where I spent less than an hour waiting to do my chauffeur duty. Not much at all to see, but at least the light was good at high tide.
Below the birds are a few hoverflies and insects  seen around my pond and Olive's garden.

Late news: the House Martin nest fell down today, there's no evidence of dead chicks but given the adults behaviour recently there must have been chicks close to fledging. Let's do a Michela Strachan and hope they made it. I'm now investigating man-made nests as it's the second nest to fall in three years. It seems the bond in the mud has broken at the same point in both years it failed. I might remove the remains of the nest so they build a new base, unless they build again too soon.


Redshanks in the seaside sun, returning from breeding, hopefully they've left independent young behind





Oystercatcher at West Links, Arbroath. Some nest on nearby roofs and can be seen flying to the beach to forage





Just a few of last years young Black-headed Gulls near the paddling pool at West Links, Med Gulls back soon I hope





A young Carrion Crow with a patterned breast and belly




Juvenile Blackbird thinking about investigating Olive's kitchen, so am I it's near tea-time





Broad Centurion Soldier Fly Chloromyia formosa, well I'm confident that's correct





Common Banded Hoverfly Syrphus ribesii one I record every year in my garden





Another Common Carder Bee, they're very common, there's not many places I haven't seen them





Common Spotted Eupeodes Hoverfly, Eupeodes luniger





Narcissus Bulb Fly Merodon equestris, things are going too well, I'm bound to have something wrong!




 Full frontal view...




Olive's planted Lupins in her garden, the birds planted this one and others in mine



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog

Blog archive