Wednesday 8 June 2022

Tree Pipits and Sedge Warblers singing

   
I eventually escaped from Arbroath and the coast and took a later than usual trip to Glen Prosen and a second look at Kinnordy on the way home. 
I didn't find any Whinchats, I don't know if it's because I was later, whether they've dispersed across the changing habitat, or just that it's the continuing shrinking of their numbers. I did find most of what I'd hoped for, Tree Pipits, Cuckoos, a Redstart male and even a Green Woodpecker which shouldn't be a surprise as I found one once before in the area.
Insects also feature here, with Green Tiger Beetle, Carrion Beetle, Common Heath Moths and a Small Heath Butterfly. I've seen Green Hairstreaks before but earlier in the year, on this trip the gorse was past its best.
There's a number of videos, some delayed which can be viewed by clicking on the links below, most are also on my YouTube channel!

Tree Pipit singing (tight zoom)      Tree Pipit (less zoom)      Sedge Warbler with Water Rail cameo call      Sedge Warbler (tight zoom)  

Marsh Harrier female      Osprey quartering      Reed Bunting male      Orange-tailed Mining Bee



Tree Pipit in Glen Prosen, it gave itself away with loud singing, and by staying in cover I managed a few photos and even video








A different Tree Pipit, this one was singing and parachuting between two large trees and at one point it landed on a fence post next to my car, I was some distance away!




Parachuting down and singing









A late addition after I'd deleted these two Large Red Damselfly photos. Unfortunately I couldn't resurrect the Marsh Harrier ones, doh!




Female Large Red Damselfly, perhaps newly emerged and it will colour up a bit yet






Lapwing adult, just letting me know to get lost, I couldn't get any further away as I was walking down the road




This was what the fuss was all about, a chick without a care and within a few metres of the road




Two photos and I moved on and left it un-fussed and feeding




Green Tiger Beetle Cicindela campestris, it's been a long time since I last saw one









Carrion or Burying Beetle Thanatophilus rugosus. Feeding on a dead Rabbit on the road where I'd seen Sexton Beetles in the past, none this time though










Common Heath Moth Ematurga atomaria, there were hundreds of these flying from the heather as I walked up the hillside





Red Admiral, this one was at Kinnordy where I'd briefly stopped to see if I could photograph a Marsh Harrier




Small Heath Butterfly




Curlews could be heard over the the hill and this one took to the air even though I was 150 metres away on the track








Another photo of the Sedge Warbler at the East Hide, Kinnordy. This time it didn't sing, it could hardly stay awake



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog

Blog archive