Tuesday 23 May 2023

Ring Ouzels, Whinchat and Spotted Flycatcher +

   
A very early morning trip to Glenesk and long before I got there I had already seen many birds, hares and deer while driving. In Glenesk song birds were in small flocks along the verges, and there were lots of Mistle Thrushes. I heard Cuckoos just about anywhere I stopped.

My plan was to find at least one Ring Ouzel then move to Glen Lethnot to see a Whinchat. I found Ring Ouzels towards the west end of Loch Lee so it seemed sensible to look in the plantation at the cottage. Behind the fence were, Whinchats, Lesser Redpoll, Wheatear, Willow Warblers, Meadow Pipits and Robins, so no need to go to Lethnot.

I had a look at Auchintoul and only found another two Woodcocks, no Sand Martins nesting but 2 Cuckoos calling from each side of the road.

Further down the glen I stopped at Millden and before I could get out of the car I could see a Nuthatch flying away from the large feeder, and disappear into a tree.



Male Ring Ouzel, Loch Lee




Another male looking a bit damp with a beak full of worms and grubs





Whinchat male in a fenced off plantation





Common Sandpiper near Invermark House





Spotted Flycatcher only a metre along the fence from the Sandpiper above





Mistle Thrush at Millden car parking area





One of two Woodcock chasing each other around the car park at Millden, and only 2 metres from me at one point. They were too fast and erratic and I was amazed to get this photo of sorts





Juvenile Song Thrush in Glen Lee





Song Thrush at the Invermark car park





House Martin





Many were checking out the old Shepherd's cottage at the west end of Loch Lee











Lesser Redpoll, the photo was into low morning sunlight, a stunning male was singing from a tree too far away for a photo





One of two Lapwing chicks at the east end of the loch





I put this one in as it's the highest number of Black Grouse I've seen in this remote lek, 12 in the photo with one out of shot




No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog

Blog archive