Monday 9 September 2024

Mystery Gull - at least for me.....

   
A puzzling gull, corvids and perhaps the last insects I'll see given the current weather forecast.
Insect ID as best I could manage!


This is an odd one, at first I thought it might be a Yellow-legged Gull, then a Herring Gull L.argentatus, now I'm not sure at all. The gull's colour is as seen by eye, and was in good light, maybe it's a worn Lesser black-backed Gull. I need to find it again, hopefully still around West Links, Arbroath



Same Gull and looking a bit worn, tail and primaries, and it seems early for the dark pattern on its head



Jackdaw



Carrion Crow, there's talk of merging the Carrion Crow and Hooded Crow into one species?



Common Banded Hoverfly Syrphus ribesii, in my garden










The Footballer Helophilus pendulus




White-footed Hoverfly Platycheirus albimanus, best guess from various sources...



Black Ant Lasius niger Queen



Peacock Butterfly



Common Drone Fly Eristalis tenax (or might be pertinax)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog

Blog archive