Monday 31 May 2021

The Young Ones

   
Four species 
in the garden this week, all with newly fledged chicks, Tree Sparrow, House Sparrow, Robin, Starling but no Blackbirds yet, or photos of elusive Tree Sparrows. 

An opinion piece in the Press and Journal today, "Grouse moors are being protected at the expense of Scotland’s other wildlife"

The Young Ones, click here

Collared Doves     Great Black-backed Gull     Lesser Black-backed Gull     LBBG, an odd one     GBBG close up

Unusual to see a Robin on a feeder, especially a Sunflower one, it's a newly fledged chick so probably searching the area to see what's what



It clearly liked the feeders, but didn't seem to notice the mixed seed one which would have suited it


Just a few Starlings when these photos were taken, one night when I filled up a feeder I flushed between 40 and 50 from Olive's giant Cotoneaster



I put this "bath" out after seeing the young Starlings trying to land in my pond, it's the bottom of an old bin, they love it











I don't see the Yellowhammers in the open very often, they're usually very near to cover where the two mixed seed feeders spillage lands



Blue Tits and Coal Tits have returned and even a Great Tit on occasion



I'm only seeing the male Greenfinches just now, hopefully that means many young to come soon



There are currently around one third of the House Martin nest sites being used in my street, I did hear of some birds going north over the Isle of May this week but they didn't come here







Photographed while looking for interesting insects, none found



I've no idea what this is, I'll ask Olive who most likely planted it




No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog

Blog archive