Friday 18 March 2022

Mandarin Duck, Avocet, Little Gull and Black-necked Grebe

   
My last post for the week, and what a good week. I'll probably get a few photos during my Webs count on Sunday or Monday and perhaps the weather will bring something new amongst the start of the migration.
I've seen Green Sandpipers, a Water Pipit, a Mandarin Duck female, I revisited the Black-necked Grebe, saw 2 of the first Little Gulls and ended with a sleeping Avocet, wow! I might try for a better photo if the Avocet stays around. 




Mandarin Duck female at Keptie Pond, Arbroath






Originally hiding in the shadows and would have been difficult to find if Dean hadn't seen it swim in








Black-necked Grebe, still at Monikie CP, and perhaps just showing the beginnings of its moult into summer breeding plumage





Still just two Little Gulls on the North Pond at Monikie, in a good year we should get up to and sometimes over 100! This bird was bang in the middle of the North Pond, we waited to see if it would fly past, it didn't. I'd think the change in the weather this weekend will bring new birds





Breeding colours for this Black-headed Gull




About a third of the Mallard flock, if you have young children or grand-children then get some mixed seed and introduce them to birding!





Avocet sitting out the high tide on Rossie Spit, Montrose Basin. Photo with my Nikon P1000 at 125 optical zoom plus 1.2 digital, taken on my tripod from behind the garage at the roundabout







No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog

Blog archive