Saturday 16 April 2022

Blackbird Singing In The Dead Of Night

   
I have a Blackbird nesting in a bush at the top of the garden, right in-between two mixed seed feeders, and I been very conscious of it vacating the nest when I fill the feeders. Yesterday it sat tight with me only a metre away, so I moved the feeders to give it as much peace as I can. It will still be affected by a few cats I chase, and an earlier video clip taken at night showed that a Vixen who visits my garden also disturbed it and caused it to alarm call. I don't think the Vixen can reach the nest, the cats are too lazy, but the fledglings will be at risk when they arrive, I'm not sure I can do anything to stop that. I have a trailer full of tree and bush branches, perhaps I could fill the area with them and create a barrier?
The better news is that the Tree Sparrows have found the moved feeders, and although wary they'll be more comfortable in early morning and the evenings. A bit more work during the quiet time in the middle of the day should help.

I also had a walk down to Scurdie Ness in the mist on Friday and although I didn't find any warblers, common or rarer, there were plenty of birds to see.
Skylarks, Meadow Pipits, Rock Pipits, Reed Buntings, Linnets, House Sparrows, Tree Sparrows, Stonechat, Yellowhammers, Woodpigeons, Oystercatchers, Purple Sandpipers, Turnstones, Eider, Cormorants, Grey Heron, Great black-backed, Herring, Common and Black-headed Gulls. Not that bad for such poor conditions.

     


Actual Blackbird singing

Linnet, on the trackside on the way to Scurdie Ness, Montrose. At least 36 Linnets were seen in an area where many will nest




Meadow Pipit, didn't appear to have a mate yet, they also nest along the track and can be seen sitting on fence posts with caterpillars waiting for walkers to pass, so they don't give away the nest



still looking...




Warm enough for a Snail to be active despite the cold, mist and light wind




And when I got home this male Yellowhammer visited my garden as I sat outside drinking coffee



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog

Blog archive