Thursday 9 November 2023

Great Grey Shrike - returning or new?

New layout with larger photos, 1530 pixels wide.

"Search Blog", "Blog Archive" and "Popular Posts" will display slightly different, and are at the bottom of this page.

I followed up a report on Birdguides and although I didn't find the Shrike quickly, I persisted in poor light and a cold temperature and it duly provided a short but close view in the northwest corner of Backwater Dam.

On my way home I looked into Kinnordy Loch hoping to get a better video of a Slavonian Grebe than the dark one from City Quays. I think I saw it briefly to the right of the Gullery Hide but on the far bank just as it moved behind a reed island.

No video of the Shrike I'm afraid. Have this classic from the past that's still very relevant during what hopefully is final stages of the new Scotland Wildlife Bill.





Great Grey Shrike at Backwater Dam, near Kirriemuir, Angus. Favouring an area of new plantation and a fence line near the water's edge, being disturbed by walkers, some with dogs, from time to time





Long-tailed Tit, one from a small group mostly in a shaded tree near the track





A flypast from two Whooper Swans at Loch of Kinnordy, Kirriemuir





I think this Grey Heron was sleeping in front of the East Hide and reacted to voices behind the hide





A Robin beside the feeders at Kinnordy, a few other species were there including Tree Sparrows but I couldn't get a photo other than one on a feeder, not natural enough for me though



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog

Blog archive