Friday 12 January 2024

Waxwings, Great Egret and Little Egret

   
My only intention on Thursday was to go to Lunan Bay but when I arrived there were few birds around. A bit of perseverance and I found 2 Velvet Scoter, 24 Common Scoter, 2 Shags, 2 Red-breasted Mergansers, 5 Long-tailed Ducks (all drakes), 3 Red-throated Divers, and a flypast by what looked to be a Black-throated Diver. One was seen 2 miles up the coast an hour later, but I'll never know!

While leaving to go home, I received a message from the Angus and Dundee Bird Club WhatsApp Group, "a single Waxwing at Aldi in Montrose," I gave in and went looking. Although it wasn't easily found to start with, I eventually found there were four.

Having taken a few photos of Waxwings in the gloomy light, I had my first look of the year for the long-staying Great Egret. I found it along with a Little Egret in the salt pans, unfortunately they were about as far away as they could be from the hide. Photos and videos below, click on the blue links.


Great Egret fishing      Great Egret after being spooked      Waxwing, Basin View roadside



Great Egret and Little Egret in the salt pans at the SWT Centre, they both seemed on edge and a car door closing nearby was enough to put them both to flight

















One of four Waxwings opposite the exit road of Aldi (at the north end), they were sitting in a Sycamore and dropping down to berries in-between people walking by, the light was rubbish!




A different one



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog

Blog archive