Wednesday 23 June 2021

Otter in Tern Colony!

   
Tales from a long trip to Strathbeg and the Ythan Estuary with a couple from a survey tagged on the bottom. 
At Strathbeg I spotted an Otter working its way to the tern island across the wetland in front of the RSPB centre at Starnafin. I then saw the terns flush and quickly moved around to the centre where the Otter appeared and hunted eggs and chicks on the island. I'd said to Olive earlier that there weren't many terns compared with previous years, and now I know why.
I'll elaborate further the rest on Thursday if it rains.



A shaky close up of a Collared Dove       Skylark singing, one of the target birds of my surveys



Yet another Grey Seal with a "dog frisbee" around its neck. I reported it to NatureScot at Forvie, no reply yet, a day later





A healthy one


Common Tern


Arctic Tern





A group of adult Eider and not a duckling in sight


As if I don't have enough Ythan seal photos


There were three Whooper Swans at Strathbeg, three Pink-footed Geese, but no sign in the middle of the day of Spoonbills or Great Egret


View from beside Starnafin


The pony in the photo above in a long zoom


Meadow Brown Butterfly in a barley field, a first in 2021


Collared Dove on my Corn Bunting survey near Arbroath


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog

Blog archive